In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Slovak is a member of the Western Slavic language group.
- Bulgarian is a south Slavic language, closely related to Serbo-Croatian and Slovenian and more distantly to Russian.
- Serbo-Croatian belongs to the Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family.
- Macedonian is a South Slavic language in the Indo-European family whose closest relatives are Bulgarian and Serbian.
- Ukrainian is an Indo-European language of the Eastern Slavic group.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.