In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both the trappers looked at one another, one fiddling with his slouch hat so it hid his features, the other nodding, nodding, nodding.
- The Gurkhas were riflemen and wore the characteristic green jackets with the Kilmarnock cap which was replaced for active service by the familiar slouch hat in 1901.
- Or, as good Aussies, we could fly the flag at half mast while we hold our precious slouch hat to our chest and hang our heads in shame at letting this government sell us out.
- His slightly bowed head, covered in the cavalry slouch hat, is balanced by the alert pose of his mount.
- The Army's iconic slouch hat has won rave reviews from the people of As Samawah following its debut in the local market.
- Jesse had wanted to become a soldier or fireman so the Army sent a Land Rover to his birthday party last year and gave him a slouch hat.
- A slouch hat sat on the end in front of a red pillow, which bore an array of medals.
- Garnett put his slouch hat on the green grass that substituted for her floor, sat a little straighter, and laced his bony fingers.
- In his pirate boots, doublet, cape, slouch hat, and Van Dyke beard he's a Petruchio's Petruchio, so virile he looks ready to burst his tights.
- He took off his slouch hat and mussed his dark hair.
- The slouch hat naturally represents the Australian digger.
- As I talked about the Cape buffalo, he listened for a bit, then plopped his slouch hat on his head and said, ‘Right, let's go.’
- Trench coats, slouch hats and Tommy guns were dusted off and called into service again, at least until new cues could be established.
- Few photographs of the Captain exist but the one Cedella still has shows a sharp-faced man in a slouch hat sitting astride a horse and looking into the distance.
- When asked what artefact in his office he treasured the most, he immediately reached for his slouch hat and said, ‘This is it’.
- The hot item for trading is the slouch hat which he sold for $US170.
- Jackson wore a slouch hat with a single turkey feather stuck in the band.
- Inside, the Emperor and his family slept while several soldiers dressed in forest green uniforms, forest green slouch hats, and armed with single shot rifles, stood guard in virtually every corridor of the practically silent building.
- The traditional Australian army slouch hat with emu plumes, worn instead of helmets, has also proved to be a huge hit with the locals.
- In a southern city, in the 1880s the Theodore Thomas Orchestra played in a theater where a farmer in a slouch hat occupied a box of solitary splendor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.