In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cortina de humo femeninoit's just a smoke screen to conceal the truth — es solo una cortina de humo para ocultar la verdad
- More likely, it's another smokescreen designed to increase the public's general paranoia and portray the Department of Homeland Security as anything but incompetent.
- Why don't you spend your valuable time actually answering Blair's accusation, or is this a nice little smokescreen to disguise the fact that you haven't got a leg to stand on?
- I respond by cutting through the smokescreen and getting to the real facts, which they are hiding from you.
- Many on the left see moral arguments as a smokescreen over the real conflict - the struggle over who gets what.
- Many people in York suspect the vagueness the company expresses about its intentions could be a smokescreen.
- It's all a smokescreen, a diversionary tactic to take the focus off of certain questions those who failed this country that day don't want aired.
- Sieuraj knocked Government's push for the passage of the police reform bills which he described as public relations tactics and a smokescreen.
- Gardai claim that a proposed marriage between a Corkman and a Romanian girl charged in a credit card scam is only a smokescreen to obtain a residency permit.
- According to the site, the old adage ‘Men are from Mars, women are from Venus’ is merely a smokescreen - felines are the real Martians.
- Jimmy reckons that the Charlie denials are a smokescreen - distracting from the actual real rumour.
- Hague last night insisted that he would not be silenced by accusations of racism, which he said were designed as a smokescreen to hide Labour's problems over asylum.
- Behind a smokescreen of good intentions, the project continues.
- We are now left to wonder whether the publicly-advertised trials of GM crops were only a smokescreen to divert attention away from the real, clandestine experiments.
- All of it in the end is an elaborate smokescreen to prevent us seeing the real issue: which is not a matter of trust but of judgment.
- Not playing bilateral cricket is a smokescreen used to evade the real issues.
- These are used as a smokescreen to distract us from the real issues.
- I do find, because I work alongside lots of other artists and producers, that pretense could be a smokescreen for insecurity.
- It's just hard to sort out the real issues from the smokescreens as the rhetoric heats up this election year.
- It's not even clear the Cheney administration ever had any serious intention of promoting those values except as a smokescreen for the exercise of American power.
- There's no attempt to cloud its intentions behind a smokescreen of law enforcement or national security - although the Secure PC is an advance on current standards.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.