In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of cigarettes)[ S ]no smoking — prohibido fumar
- smoking is harmful to your health — fumar es perjudicial para la salud
- the smoking of marijuana is widespread — (el) fumar marihuana está muy extendido
- to give up / stop smoking — dejar de fumar
- For example, if several smokers were surveyed, it would be logical to assume that they could recite the risks of smoking, yet still smoke.
- Passengers wouldn't put up with stale air that stank of smoke, but now that smoking is banned, they have no way of knowing how stale the air they are breathing might be.
- Few people now dispute that smoking is damaging human health on a global scale.
- Smokers should stop smoking, as smoking may influence the course of thyroid eye disease in a dose dependent manner during treatment.
- People can make their own choices about whether they smoke - and cigarette smoking is highly addictive.
- However, while most of the mums who smoked said they knew smoking was bad for them, they didn't realise the devastating impact it could have on their unborn babies.
- You can lower your health risk by quitting smoking if you smoke, losing weight if you are overweight and exercising regularly.
- Norma added that 30% of all cancers are related to smoking and that smoking had a damaging effect not only on the lungs but all parts of the body.
- He had never justified his habit by denying that smoking was bad for his health, he knew it was, but that didn't make him enjoy it any less.
- It is my personal observation that smoking as a habit starts in a family where there is a smoker.
- More pubs are becoming smoke free as more people understand the dangers of smoking.
- The bylaw provides protection from environmental tobacco smoke by prohibiting smoking in Toronto workplaces and public places.
- Passive or secondhand smoking means breathing other people's smoke and this can have serious health risks.
- This complication is much more common if you smoke, as smoking damages blood vessels.
- We all know smoking causes cancer, yet we continue to smoke.
- We have increased the excise tax on tobacco to discourage young people from taking up smoking, and we have encouraged smokers to quit and stay quit.
- I sometimes find myself in awe of people like art speigelman, who smoke in front of audiences in places that smoking isn't allowed.
- In my opinion a fair decision should be made concerning smoking and second hand smoke.
- The health effects of tobacco smoking are estimated to cause the deaths of more than 400,000 Americans annually.
- In the 21st century we know too much about the risks of smoking, and second-hand smoke, to let the practice continue.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.