In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Of course, it is also a position chosen for its obscurantist snob value, the politics of a connoisseur.
- The snob value attached to these types of gatherings attracts people as well.
- New evidence reported today in the Sunday Herald shows that it is not just the convenience of cars that appeals, but their snob value.
- Upward sloping demand curves can also be observed for some products sold for their snob value.
- That snob value has persisted here; much more so than in Britain.
- It may be true that some people's taste buds don't enable them for example to know if they are eating canned or fresh pineapple and there may be some places in London that survive purely because of the snob value of being seen there.
- Television also spreads the snob value of literacy.
- You set your pricing structure to appeal to those of your potential customers with the highest budgets or those seeking the snob value of buying a very high priced service.
- In other words, they want to charge more purely out of snob value.
- She is petty and dim, unable to think beyond the snob value of her furniture.
- One wonders why bother, but it probably is for the snob value.
- For those who don't believe in snob value, there will be special T-shirts and bandanas for the promotion of the film.
- It has a snob value attached to it as well, we have to admit.
- Now the urbanite could as well be imagining the white, dimpled orb used to play the game once associated with snob value: golf.
- And where would the juries be without the modernists who give snob value to their praise?
- There are talented young artists all over the city, but nobody pays any attention to them because what buyers want now is just a tag for snob value.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.