In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Televisión telenovela femeninoTelevisión culebrón masculinoRadio radionovela femeninoRadio comedia femenino América Latina
- It was an early episode in a story that has been compared to a soap opera - a saga of love, infidelity and betrayal in high places.
- But it is as pointless to complain about this as it would be to complain that one episode of a soap opera is similar to another.
- They will take to the stage for a live rendition of their new radio soap opera.
- It's more like a soap opera without a script, blurring the line between what is real and what is manufactured for the cameras.
- Have you ever seen a soap opera and been able to see the people acting?
- My second question is about whether a soap opera can really affect social mores.
- In the soap opera, viewers were left to speculate about who was responsible for the vitriolic letters.
- If there's anything more catchy than a soap opera or a movie, it is a cartoon film.
- Chances are he or she will be settled down in front of the TV for a daily fix of an Indian soap opera.
- She found time to produce a weekly radio soap opera with a health promotion twist.
- He has appeared in a soap opera, in TV films, and on the top Saturday evening quiz show.
- People sit and watch that documentary, which is real-life stuff, not a soap opera.
- Angel hadn't realized that a person could sound so dismal outside of a soap opera.
- If I was a character in a soap opera or a bad romantic novel, I would immediately have assumed he was having an affair.
- Not so long ago I wrote about a fantastically fresh and exciting band that shared their name with an Australian soap opera.
- The story is not original to this production, it is taken from a foreign soap opera.
- So began the theme music to the worst soap opera in the history of television.
- Achieving a great fluidity and economy, the film covers a good deal of ground in a short time without seeming too much like a soap opera.
- You can become a star, a luminary of our time, simply by appearing in a soap opera.
- I was watching a soap opera when Ryan came in, still in his apron and sat down on the couch next to me.
Nombre humorístico del culebrón o telenovela. Su nombre se debe al hecho de que las primeras soap operas (óperas de jabón) emitidas por radio en EEUU eran financiadas por compañías de jabón.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.