In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de jabón) espuma femenino
- He said he immediately worried the soapsuds could have an effect on fish, including trout and coho salmon, that live in the lower reaches of the stream, as well as other wildlife like ducks and herons.
- She was at the sink up to her elbows in soapsuds, doing a little dance in place to a popular song playing on the radio.
- I took my shirt, skirt and underclothes off and placed them in the same bucket of water and soapsuds as my stained jelly shirt.
- As if he heard her, Shadow came running down the hall, soapsuds still in his coat.
- The tank had soapsuds covering the water for about two weeks and all my fish were pooping on a constant basis.
- A new technique for manufacturing identical bubbles produces foams that look more like crystals than soapsuds.
- But once the new script has formally been adopted, the storm is bound to collapse like soapsuds.
- ‘True, it might be a while since her last cleaning bout was about two weeks ago,’ I said as I flicked her back with more soapsuds.
- Lee wanders into the living room, head still in a turban but considerably drier without the soapsuds, and wrapped in a navy blue toweling robe.
- I remember how Pat smelled - of sprinklers in summer, soapsuds, and strawberries.
- I unplug the drain and rinse the soapsuds from the sink.
- Despite her touching role as memory keeper, she spent the last 20 years of her life suffering from a mental illness, playing with a bowl of soapsuds, and hiding from visitors.
- A few stray soapsuds had wandered onto my cut, and it hurt like hell.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.