In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After World War II, opinion was socialist and practice was free market; currently, opinion is free market and practice is heavily socialist.
- As far as the great EU socialist leaders are concerned, the mob rules in America.
- At most, it had some cultural capital under the socialist regime.
- The bombings may simply have brought thousands more socialist voters to the polls.
- Is he the great socialist pretender, taking his place amongst the regal, instead of the people?
- As people act to change the world, so they experience feelings of collectivity and solidarity which open them to socialist ideas.
- Neither did the prospect of socialist revolution seem as immediate as in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Just think what a socialist policy could do with the amount they are receiving.
- Even as it proclaimed a socialist state in 1960, it was relying on these sources for half of its development funds.
- The second is the deepening employment crisis caused by the collapse of the old socialist industries.
- Socialist organising involves both established routine and new initiatives and inventiveness.
- I would like to see contained in each article a new and innovative socialist solution to the problems mentioned.
- That in turn requires the growth of democratic, secular and socialist forces.
- The socialist system lost its balance; the idea of Israel teetered.
- Kamala has been a socialist activist for 10 years.
- First, we soon find that there has been no socialist revolution.
- Meanwhile, Poland remains mired in nationalist politics and socialist economics.
- Will's own writings made his socialist ideas clear.
- It was not clear who the protesters were but many were dressed in black and some carried Communist Party and socialist flags.
- Labour unions adopted it, as did socialist organizations of all kinds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.