In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(soda water)soda femenino(with masculine article in the singular) agua de seltz femeninoScotch and soda — whisky con soda / sifón masculino
- We went to the beach, sunbathed, read books under straw parasols, ate olives and drank cheap red wine watered down with soda water.
- Chris offered Avril some wine, but she preferred some soda water.
- The girl's drinks were always tea or soda water.
- Last seen, Jerry was celebrating with soda water instead of his customary libation in a brown bottle.
- To get rid of red wine stains on furnishings and carpets don't apply salt - use carbonated soda water instead.
- Amy reached into her lunch bag and took out a bottle of soda water.
- I didn't observe what Peter ate but I did notice he added soda water to his tea.
- Put 3-4 peppermint teabags in a glass of soda water on a sunny window sill.
- In his dissertation, he presented theory and experiments on the osmotic pressure of concentrated solutions of carbon dioxide in various solvents - just generalized soda water.
- Two vodkas with soda water later is my only transgression.
- Tom Valdes has always enjoyed a Rum Collins, made with lemon juice and soda water.
- The third method, to be avoided by any serious wine lover, is the injection of carbon dioxide into the wine immediately before bottling, as in soda water or Coca-Cola.
- I noticed it fizzing in the glass and thought it must be soda water.
- So if I'm going to taste soda water, I'd rather drink some that has some flavor to it.
- I walked to the bar where they had cleared all the alcohol and were selling water and sodas.
- I washed that down with soda water and indulged in a slice of wholegrain bread with a thin slice of cheese and a smidgeon of honey and munched mournfully on an apple.
- Muddle the mint and the rest of the ingredients in the glass until the sugar has melted before topping up with crushed ice and a whoosh of soda water or sparkling mineral water.
- The alcohol content can be tamed by using non-alcoholic Triple Sec or orange-flavored soda water.
- In a bowl, combine flour and cornstarch; season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk in soda water until smooth.
- The basic mixers are cola, lemon-lime soda, tonic water, soda water, orange juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice, ginger ale and grapefruit juice.
1.2US (flavored)refresco masculinofresco masculino América Latinaorange soda — naranjada femenino
- It takes him a can of soda, preferably Coke, for him to be fully awake at this time of day.
- My diet shifted from foods high in sugar and fat, such as cheesecake, ice cream and soda, to foods rich in lean protein, such as chicken and fish.
- He quit drinking his five sodas per day, started eating scheduled meals and avoided fat.
- Simple sugars, like those found in sweetened juices, sodas and fruit cups cause a spike in blood sugar.
- Valtin says people can obtain water from many beverages and foods, from sodas to fruits.
- My laughing and petty revenge seemed to have made that soda sweeter.
- The rest of the day was spent consuming massive amounts of diet soda and rediscovering the fact that too much caffeine made her twitchy and a little off kilter.
- So if you drink three sodas a day, for instance, try cutting back to two.
- The combination of salt on the fries and a litre of sweet cold soda - not the Diet kind - can be relied upon to get me back on my feet and ready to take on the world quickly and without unpleasant side effects.
- But pretty soon all he can think about is those extra hundred sodas he could be drinking.
- James is happy to drink water instead of squash but refuses to drink low sugar sodas or squashes.
- That's the sugar you'd get in three to five 12-ounce cans of soda.
- This has everything I am looking for in a soda: Grapefruit, natural ingredients, the colour pink and a mild fizz.
- On the fluid side, you're competing against sodas, fruit drinks and energy drinks.
- Today, the average American consumes over 220 L of soda per year, and one teenager in seven is overweight.
- Mr. Shongut reached into his fridge and pulled out a sweet, ice cold soda.
- The consumption of canned soda is naturally high in schools without drinking fountains.
- They were brought up on sweet beverages and soda, and on caffeine.
- Every diet gone bad has its usual suspects - soda, sweets, French fries, et cetera.
- Laid out on the table were bottles of alcohol, sodas, Cokes and crisps.
1.3US (ice-cream soda)(refresco con helado) ice-cream soda masculino América Latina
2Químicasoda femeninososa femenino
- Combine flour, bi-carbonate of soda, sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a normal healthy person, he argued, uric acid is excreted in the urine; if that process be interrupted, deposition of uric acid occurs in the form of urate of soda.
- Bi-carb soda and vinegar is great for general purpose cleaning, and it looks good when it's working - it bubbles.
- A fusion of sand, soda, and potash, its peculiarity resides in how these elements are not perceived but effaced.
- I then left the clothes in a bucket to soak overnight with washing soda.
- Bicarbonate of soda, the mild alkali which is added to some cakes and biscuits and peanut brittle, promotes browning.
- Bicarbonate of soda can also be used as a mild abrasive to clean baths, sinks, toilet bowls and tiles.
- The scientific explanation for this phenomenon is that soda contains carbon dioxide gas.
- Washing soda is found in the laundry section of most supermarkets.
- Pip uses bicarb soda mixed with dishwashing detergent for pots in the kitchen.
- The children built a volcano using clay and used the chemical reaction between bread soda and vinegar to simulate the volcano.
- In this method, fats and oils were mixed in large, open kettles, and caustic soda was added.
- Bicarbonate of soda is a popular remedy for powdery mildew because it is a relatively safe substance and it is cheap to use.
- Add nitrate of soda or ammonia sulfate for inorganic amendments.
- And they put in potassium and they send in bicarbonate soda and anti-nausea medicine.
- A good natural fungicide can be made from whole milk, bicarb soda and canola oil.
- Combine bi-carbonate of soda and water in a small bowl and add to the butter mixture and immediately pour all the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- For extra sore and aching feet add one tablespoon each of sea salt and bicarbonate soda and three to five drops of rosemary oil to the water.
- The clothes were deposited in the tub with soap flakes and soda, then swirled around by hand, using a wooden paddle, a long and hot process.
- Because soap is made primarily from a caustic blend of boiled animal fat, lye and soda, it is highly alkaline.
- To ease aching joints or stiff muscles as a result of sport or vigorous exercise, add half a cup of bicarbonate soda to a hot bath and enjoy a long, relaxing soak.
- Other unpleasant odours, including the smell of stale cigarettes, can be eliminated by placing a container of dry bicarbonate soda in the car.
- To remove odours from vinyl seats and lining panels wash with a solution of bicarbonate soda and warm water.
- The plant provides a wide range of products although its output is dominated by the bulk production of soda ash and smaller quantities of soda bicarbonate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.