In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When the matron of an African orphan farm decided that the soft-hearted bachelor Mr J L B Matekoni adopt two of her charges, one in a wheelchair, he meekly agreed.
- I am probably what I consider to be one of the new generations of soft-hearted parents who like to be intimately involved in every aspect of my children's lives.
- She is very kind, very soft-hearted and always eager to help.
- Darker and more harrowing is Saved starring Scottish veterans Irene McCallum and Edith McArthur in a poignant tale of a soft-hearted young nurse on a dementia ward.
- Now, I'm very soft-hearted and happen to know that my meat appears by special act of creation divinely shrink-wrapped on Tesco shelves.
- Its hero is a man of silent morality from a different era, wide-eyed, soft-hearted and out of place.
- There are plenty of soft-hearted guys around who'll try to help out a damsel who's clearly in distress.
- Either it was a case of beggars can't be choosers or the interview panel had not found me too old, white, middle class and soft-hearted after all.
- He's a soft-hearted romantic behind his leather and greased-lightning exterior.
- As a young girl Margo had been soft-hearted, always ready to help someone in trouble, always picking up pals.
- At home, her mother continually berates her soft-hearted salesman father for what she sees as the poor business skills that keep them on the edge of poverty.
- More important, Moravia's novels offer a bracing counterpoint to today's soft-hearted and headed fiction.
- He could not believe how that soft-hearted man had even risen to the post he occupied.
- Although 55 cats for which she cared have been adopted in the last 16 months, not every cat the soft-hearted Alcorn takes in is adoptable.
- The soft-hearted lady of the lamp tended tirelessly to the wounded of the Crimean War and laid the foundations of modern nursing.
- He's taken in by the soft-hearted Lilo, a young girl with a passion for animals.
- Mommy isn't strong enough to protect the family and is too soft-hearted to discipline the children.
- It seems to have attracted a nice range of comments from soft-hearted animal lovers and those who um, think everyone else's opinions are a load of rubbish.
- I was surprised to read that one of those soft-hearted Cornish fisherman had put a lobster back in the sea after catching it in one of his pots, because he thought it looked tired and deserved a break.
- My husband has his opinions, of course, but I'm too soft-hearted to tell her the truth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.