In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the solar system — el sistema solar
- The planets of the solar system are visible because of the sunlight that they reflect.
- Mars is the only planet in our solar system that is potentially habitable.
- Among the natural satellites that orbit the planets in the solar system, the moon is without doubt one of a kind.
- Until just over 10 years ago, the nine planets of the solar system were the only ones known to man.
- Astronomers discover three new planets in solar systems close to ours.
- The moons of the outer planets in the solar system are also rich with various kinds of ices.
- The discovery of a possible tenth planet in our solar system has excited scientists in Swindon.
- It is the only planetary satellite in the whole solar system with a significant atmosphere.
- The great Isaac Newton had demonstrated that the earth was a planet moving in a solar system according to exact laws.
- The next body to be discovered in the solar system was the minor planet Ceres, discovered in 1801.
- Astronomers have so far found more than 70 planets in solar systems other than our own.
- No planet beyond the solar system, known as exoplanets, has been seen by optical telescopes.
- It's shameful that I'm ignorant of the order of planets from the sun in our solar system.
- If we find life on a second planet in our solar system that would be amazing.
- In fact, Venus is thought to have more volcanoes than any other planet in the solar system.
- Unique samples of moon rock and meteorites as old as the solar system landed on a Bickley girls' school.
- Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system and is easily visible in the night sky.
- There are vast numbers of comets in the solar system, more than there are asteroids, but most lie out of sight beyond Pluto.
- Pluto is the farthest planet in the solar system; he is also the Greek god of the dead.
- Eventually it may also be necessary for our species to move off of Earth and colonise the other planets in our solar system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.