In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(male child)hijo masculinoher youngest/eldest son — su hijo menor/mayor
- she has two sons — tiene dos hijos
- he's his father's/mother's son — es digno hijo de su padre/madre
- the son and heir — el heredero
- I was born and brought up here, the eldest son of Irish parents.
- Parents with three daughters are about 10% more likely to get divorced than parents of three sons.
- And some relatives don't even know where their parents, brothers or sons are being held.
- The only people who have my home phone number are my work, my parents and my son's mother - I wonder which one of them it could have been?
- Your problem is similar to that of parents whose sons show some talent on the football pitch.
- Throughout their relationship, they had been the main parents to four sons, all of whom had been conceived in previous marriages.
- Every good wish to the proud parents and their son for the future.
- The data forces us to believe that urban, modern parents prefer sons.
- The parents of two sons still make regular weekend visits to the parlor.
- In many cultures, the couple relationship is secondary to the relationship with parents, especially between sons and mothers.
- As the parents of three sons, my wife and I strived to teach them right from wrong and to tell the truth when asked a question regarding a wrong done to others.
- Family dramas never die and this one tells the tale of two devoted parents and their four sons.
- Alex is the son of British-Bulgarian parents, with an English mother, and a Bulgarian father.
- Three years ago, his parents lost their son Michael, 14, in a road accident.
- In the early nineties, I gave birth to a son and like all parents I do sometimes wonder what the future holds for him.
- A lecturer who survived the tsunami disaster lost her husband, both her sons and her parents in the tragedy.
- But Daniel was also a caring son who did his parents' garden and helped out at the pensioners' Christmas party.
- It was earlier decided by the committee that only married sons with both parents should be included.
- One of the messages read simply: ‘In memory of all those who lost their lives from very grateful parents whose two sons were saved.’
- We are friendly with our neighbours, with people at work, and with the kids and parents at our son's school.
2hijomy son — hijo mío
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.