In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- My nerves, still shredded from the bruising motorway journey North, gradually soothed as I lay back in the warm, soporific waters of the outdoor whirlpool, staring at the inky black night sky.
- Or that certain rock records (hello, late seventies?) aren't among the most soporific music ever devised.
- It was the air-con going off that disturbed my slumber once that soporific hum stopped.
- Regretfully, I know no soporific agent to make it all painless so that later on there is only a tiny scar on the skin that would remind one of the process.
- The soporific sound of creaking pine is usually enjoyed naked, with a chilled bottle of beer in one hand and, for authenticity, a leafy birch whisk in the other.
- I shook my head and looked down at Shadow, now resting peacefully, the soporific noises of the waterfall lulling him to sleep.
- We are sitting through a multitude of soporific briefings.
- Apart from these obvious attractions, I have always found it difficult to understand the appeal of this leisurely, some might say, soporific sport.
- Fortunately, the orchestra was not so soporific.
- Instead, I stood mesmerised by his soporific chanting.
- Its concrete surface is the most soporific in the UK, and has been blamed for lulling drivers to sleep.
- Police Beat has a dreamlike quality; the strange crimes, quiet voice-over and soporific music meld together into a fascinating - and often comic experience.
- And, while coffee prompted psychosis and sleeplessness, cocktails were soporific.
- When treated with skill, though, it can be sensational, and small quantities added to a soporific bed of Merlot can turn a snooze into a dance.
- Black Nielson overshadowed them, with drowsy, soporific vocals, and unexpected twists and turns within each song.
- As regards the insomnia I've had lately, I can heartily recommend Somnus, a soporific combination of Lettuce extract and Valerian.
- Fort's colourful and amusing prose meanders through picturesque towns and sleepy villages where soporific suppers are served.
- His voice is hypnotic, soporific - the kind of voice that could mesmerise you into taking all your clothes off and biting into an onion.
- If you've been to Fiji, you've probably been talked into a bowl of kava, a soporific drink made out of the crushed roots of a local shrub and traditionally drunk with coconut cups.
- Inactivity is soporific while exercise revives a sleepy brain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.