In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sureño masculinosureña femeninothe southerners — los sureños
- Northerners are more cautious and suspicious than southerners.
- Jazz music was certainly at its finest last Sunday as an array of musicians came together to give southerners a night of jazz they would not soon forget.
- Although they were diverse, two crucial factors distinguished these new southerners from their northern cousins.
- I am a southerner, and southerners have a strong tradition of chivalry.
- I'll give you southerners some credit on that front.
- The tendency of southerners to outnumber northerners in the army continued to the outbreak of civil war.
- But I never cease to be amazed by the stunning ignorance of southerners of our great city.
- In the past six months, southerners have been voting with their feet.
- In the north people are rather more forthcoming, which southerners regard as being over-familiar and nosey.
- Don't look at us - we're just a bunch of soft southerners.
- As a native southerner, I confess to a skewed view of ‘faith-based’ administration of social policies.
- Do you dislike me because I talk like a southerner and listen to country music on occasion?
- Was the system of tariffs more injurious to southerners than, say, an income tax or a property tax?
- As it happened the group was fairly evenly divided between northerners and southerners.
- The Festival is coming, and with it legions of southerners clogging up Edinburgh's hippest restaurants and bars.
- Some of the nine were native southerners; others grew up in politically radical families from the North.
- Hordes of Scots and Geordies will be descending on the city for Royal Ascot at York as southerners stay at home, advance ticket sales have revealed.
- The irony is acute: while many young locals flee the Highlands, many southerners see the area as the promised land.
- Mr Andrews pledged he will put his northern customers first and will only be sending southerners his surplus stock.
- In six years, southerners would be entitled to a referendum to determine whether they wanted to form their own state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.