In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(control, rule)dominio masculinosoberanía femenino
- She said that women desire control and sovereignty over their husbands.
- There are certain things that you must not do to me without my consent and this fact gives me a kind of sovereignty over my life that you cannot legitimately invade or diminish.
- France, Portugal and Greece allegedly have reservations about ceding national sovereignty over their airspace.
- His life and his death taught all those that knew him of God's wisdom, grace, sovereignty and power.
- People have a right to sovereignty over their own bodies - even teenagers.
- The decision to have a child is a fundamental question of sovereignty over your own body, and a decision that no-one else has any right to make.
- The Republic of Fiji Military Forces was established to defend the nation's territorial sovereignty.
- God's absolute sovereignty in history, cosmic and personal, is the greatest comfort to Christian believers.
- Illegal immigration threatens our sovereignty, our security, reverence for the rule of law.
- A head of state must defend his or her country's sovereignty.
- Westphalian sovereignty is violated when external actors influence or determine domestic authority structures.
- For these reasons, many modern Austrian economists reject the doctrine of consumer sovereignty.
- Her pondering presumes a regal power, a lingering vestige of an era when sovereignty resided not in the people but in the monarch.
- Parliamentary sovereignty means that Parliament can, if it chooses, legislate contrary to fundamental principles of human rights.
- The president said that foreign relations were the most important symbol of a nation's independent sovereignty.
- Bakhtin does not attribute to the real author anything like sovereignty over the discourse he or she produces.
- Full national sovereignty was regained in 1992 with the evacuation of most of the Soviet troops stationed in Poland.
- It was more than a legitimisation of sovereignty by Brahmanical ritual; it was an assertion of supreme sovereignty.
- Republican architecture became a proud symbol of Dominican sovereignty.
- No international authority has any authority over us which diminishes our sovereignty.
- Here was the judicial reconciliation of Parliamentary sovereignty with the supremacy of EC law.
- The treaty grants Britain sovereignty over the sites in perpetuity.
- Many of the world's developing countries were formerly under the sovereignty of a colonial power.
- The Government has the right to regulate and the sovereignty of Parliament is assured.
- The individualistic credo grants each of us sovereignty over what we choose as the best kind of life.
- Restoration of that country's sovereignty would lead willy-nilly to the arrival of democracy there.
- In 1657 Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg, gained full sovereignty over the duchy.
- Consumer sovereignty meant the greatest freedom of choice for individuals via the widest provision of alternative broadcast goods.
- Neither Spain nor Guatemala ever exercised effective sovereignty over the area.
- The sovereignty of this Parliament is the one thing that underpins everything about this country.
- With the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia, the legal basis for the concept of national sovereignty was established.
- At some point under our system we have to assert parliamentary sovereignty against judicial activism.
- The two occupying powers cared little for the country's sovereignty and well-being.
- As a political system, democracy starts with the assumption of popular sovereignty, vesting ultimate power in the people.
- We no longer had sovereignty over our own credit, currency, and related banking affairs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.