In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Plastic sheets temporarily hung from the rafters until a new door arrives don't succeed in blocking the wind, but a space heater helps.
- When she received an astronomical bill several months ago - the result of heating her home with a space heater - she nearly fainted.
- The falling table knocked over a space heater and set fire to the store.
- Check your local and state building codes and fire ordinances to see if you can use an unvented space heater, if you consider purchasing one.
- Today I am forcing myself to leave my room and get dressed and buy a space heater.
- Anyhow, it's about ten below in here (give or take a few for the wind chill factor) and the space heater isn't really helping.
- Let's assume that nothing else in the house is on, so the meter is measuring only the electricity used by the space heater.
- It was freezing cold outside and there was no heat in the garage, so he had a little space heater over by his side and I had a blanket that he graciously gave me to drape around my shoulders like a Navajo Indian.
- A space heater in an enclosed area can provide the needed heat for curing.
- The fire department is looking into whether a space heater started that fire.
- In a separate incident, a woman died when her attempts to fight off the cold with a space heater and candles set her New York City apartment ablaze.
- He had only been in his tiny apartment for two days and the only furnishings he could afford were a lamp, a pillow, a space heater, and an insulated sleeping bag.
- Allow three feet between a space heater and anything flammable.
- Hopefully the heat situation will somehow work out in my favour; it's a little nippy in here with me having left the space heater off all day, but it's not really bad.
- The family huddled with blankets in their living room, trying to stay warm with a space heater.
- Still, I have a space heater, and it never gets too cold here, not like in the old days - never below 60, anyway.
- Air conditioning means sixty degree offices, and until I move my computers outdoors I'll be enjoying the benefits of the space heater.
- Even with the newly-installed space heater, the air in there wouldn't rise above forty degrees.
- I walk over to our little space heater and warm my hands by it.
- I'll also need a space heater because it's always chilly in the basement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.