- Mr Reardon, a member of the Scottish Pigeon Racing Union, said members were calling for a cull of all falcons, including the sparrowhawk, because they were attacking pigeons and other song birds.
- The sparrowhawk is a serious threat to adult pied flycatchers and is the only common bird of prey in our study area.
- Today, dozens of different birds stop by, from goldfinches, tits and sparrowhawks to ducks, doves and pheasants.
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- No doubt the element of surprise plays a large part in their capture of prey, but sparrowhawks are capable of performing remarkable pursuits and captures of such fast-flying birds as the redshank.
- We frequently come across tired, distressed birds while walking and cycling in isolated areas but the sparrowhawks seem to get the blame for any non-returning bird to the loft.
- Birds of prey also suffered, with many sparrowhawks and kestrels too badly injured to survive, though many owls were successfully treated and released.
- A sparrowhawk was calmly finishing off a blackbird six feet from my head.