In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At flowering, the fungus grows through the floral tissue and forms masses of spores in place of healthy seed.
- Bunt fungi survive as resting spores on contaminated seed.
- Grain mold fungi also produce spores capable of aerial dispersal in the field as well as within a grain storage bin.
- Many questions concerning toxicity and allergenicity have been raised about corn contaminated with the spores of this fungus.
- It reproduces prolifically and produces spores at all stages of its life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.