In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This shoal of sprats was found within 2m of the steps at Weasel Loch.
- These minerals also rise abruptly to the surface and the result is a sea rich in plankton and other microfauna, teeming with everything that feeds on them in turn, from sprats and squid to tuna and dolphins.
- Maryland scientists are instead trying to rebuild native oyster stocks by building new beds out of shucked oyster shells and seeding them with native sprat, or baby oysters.
- There is no true sprat in Asian waters, although the name sprat is sometimes loosely applied to certain small fish of the herring family which do occur there.
- Commercial fishing includes salmon, herring, cod, plaice, crustaceans and mollusks, mackerel, sprat, eel, lobster, shrimp, and prawns.
- As the EU enlarges into the Balkans, the ratio of sprats to sharks will increase.
- Others say it's the healthy levels of sprat and herring which are providing them with plenty of food.
- The smoking of salmon, prawns and sprats is done ‘round the back’ and this is the food you should stick to here.
- Marinated Baltic sprats were delicate, their sharp briny taste balanced by an accompanying vinaigrette of potatoes, beetroot, onions, dill pickles, eggs, and mayonnaise.
- I dropped into the water and was immediately surrounded by a swirling shoal of tiny sprats.
- However, they are now firmly identified, at least so far as Britain is concerned, as the fry of various fish of the herring family, but mainly of the herring itself and the sprat.
- Frank Hederman smokes his eels, sprats, mackerel, trout and mussels over beech rather than oak, which gives his products a mild, subtle flavour and makes them just about the best that money can buy.
- On it you feel like a sprat swimming beside a whale.
- There were other fish swimming around among the dead sprat so there was nothing wrong with the quality of the water.
- However, if the diet is extremely rich in fish oils, for example, herring, mackerel, sardines and sprats, it may not be necessary to take hemp oil as well.
- Clupeid fish, like herring, anchovies, and sprats, can detect sound frequencies up to around 40 kilohertz, way beyond the hearing range of most other fish.
- They may disappear for a few weeks in August, before returning with a vengeance to gorge on the sprats.
- Or you can dangle a hopeful, lazy fishing line over the side of waters so plentiful that even I, the world's worst fisherman, managed to catch a sprat.
- The catch can consist of eels, cod or sprat but is mainly shrimp and these are sold from Brendon's cottage on the beach.
- Often what seems like a shallow reef is actually a shoal of minuscule sprats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.