In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jefe de espías masculinojefa de espías femenino
- He is the greatest of spy novelists, and his supreme creation has been the spymaster George Smiley, whose skills, passions and uncertainties are at the heart of his finest novels.
- British spymasters were completely in the dark about the activities of the hijackers until the FBI alerted them.
- She systematically passed detailed information about Britain's nuclear weapons programme to the KGB spymasters.
- Britain's Cold War spymasters secretly discussed plans to train flocks of homing pigeons to attack enemy targets with tiny but deadly biological weapons.
- He proposed that he should return to Norway with two transmitters, using the second one to send genuine information to the British without the knowledge of the German spymasters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.