In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And we've had some wind gusts and squally weather here but nothing has been damaged.
- Thunderstorms will be more frequent than in April accompanied by hail and violent squally winds.
- Forecasters predict the winds will ease later today and the heavy rains will turn into squally showers.
- Expect plenty of rain in the tropical Caribbean and Florida summer months, but it will often fall in heavy, squally afternoon showers which last only an hour or so.
- There will be squally showers with the risk of hail and thunder towards the North West.
3(meeting) borrascoso(meeting) turbulento
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.