In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Celestial Gold's 12-1 triumph came after his stable companion and original ante-post favourite, Our Vic, had been withdrawn earlier in the week with a muscle problem.
- Biggest worry may well be his stable companion, Blue Corrig.
- Landseer, his stable companion, was fourth on the home turn and ready to challenge.
- Overbury Affair, a stable companion of Forty Licks, is well-regarded and currently a prime fancy for the Cheltenham Bumper.
- Marlborough is a useful second string for Henderson but Bacchanal looks a cut above his stable companion.
- Mrs Ford partnered Forest Gunner in a two-mile gallop at Aintree on Tuesday with a stable companion at the track.
- Hawk Wing has been over hyped and if he is as good as he was rated then where does that leave High Chaparral, who broke his heart at Epsom and delivered much more than his hyped up stable companion ever managed?
- These characterful creatures, with their rasping Ee-aw bray, are known to make excellent stable companions for horses, foals, or other donkeys.
- The word from Ballydoyle yesterday was that stable companions, Bach and Darwin, are also live possibilities for the race with Darwin in the field to ensure an even pace.
- High Chaparral turned over his multi-talented stable companion with an awesome display of staying power through the last two furlongs.
- He has now had a 24-day break and should be ready to return to the winning groove, even though he faces his year older stable companion on 11 lb worse weight terms compared with Goodwood, where he had a length-and-a-half in hand.
- Golan's stable companion, the well-supported Dilshaan, meanwhile, simply wasn't good enough when push eventually came to shove.
- Izmir's latest effort saw him take seventh spot behind another stable companion, Albatros, over a mile and a half at Leopardstown last month and that should have him spot-on for this test.
- He went off an odds-on chance then, but managed only to dead-heat with moderate stable companion, Ursa Minor, for fourth place behind Almost Famous.
- Beef Or Salmon, ridden by Joe Casey, worked over about two miles on the flat with an un-named stable companion.
- Rule Supreme didn't let the form down earlier in the week at Fairyhouse when runner-up to One Night Out's stable companion, Davenport Milenium.
- Fantasticat was completely unfancied when beaten three short heads into fourth spot behind odds-on stable companion, Go For Gold, at Gowran Park, and can take the extended seven furlongs maiden.
- He was eased to the front by Robert Power heading to four out and stretched clear in the straight to beat stable companion, Pay It Forward, unextended by ten lengths.
- Behrajan made a lot of the running, but over six from home it was Best Mate's stable companion, Chives, who struck the front.
- He showed plenty when third behind stable companion, Carpanetto, at the Curragh in October.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.