In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Meyer carefully pays attention to dynamic and legato / staccato contrasts, so her playing is endlessly interesting, as well as tonally gratifying.
- Retention of a naturally compact hand through early release of selected notes and judicious use of staccato touch is a potent technique.
- Townshend led a master's class in aggressive guitar, windmilling power chords, strumming with blitzkrieg ferocity and firing out staccato solos in intensive bursts.
- On the piano, James was not delicate nor mysterious at all - his playing was stuttered and fast, something rushing forth in staccato bursts that suggest supreme agitation or even anger.
- The piano started up; soft, staccato notes filled the room and chased away the dull rumble from the backstage area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.