In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ciervo volante masculinociervo volador masculino
- It is revealing that they often mix and shuffle elements from various species, combining the antlers of a stag beetle and the feelers of a fly, or a butterfly's proboscis and an ant's thorax, to create fantastic new hybrids.
- The 300-year-old woodland is home to rare fungi, heathers and insects such as stag beetles.
- For example, Australian lungfish and luminescent stag beetles have been big hits in Japan in recent years.
- Dead wood attracts wood boring insects, magnificent stag beetles, and birds that feed on insects attracted to rotting wood such as the woodpecker.
- Jenny Scholfield, conservation manager for the London Wildlife Trust, said: ‘Distribution of the stag beetle has fallen dramatically, so any area where they have been seen is vital for research.’
- Our thanks to the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution for making the stag beetle and many other fine images available on their FTP image file.
- He said: ‘I stocked anything from piranhas and poison arrow frogs to stag beetles and lethal centipedes.’
- Mr Brown says species threatened in the forest include the extremely rare Wielangta stag beetle, the swift parrot, Tasmania's wedge-tail eagle and the tiger quoll.
- As he rode along the lanes, his nostrils filled with the heady scent of elderflowers, and the air was alive with stag beetles whose chunky black bodies whirred defiantly through the dusk.
- Among the natural wonders that should be protected are stag beetles, and ramshorn snails; habitats including salt meadows and oak woods; and rare plants such as the lady's slipper orchid.
- The first case came to light when two Japanese nationals were detained with 50 pairs of stag beetle at a forest in Palung in the Makawanpur District south of the Nepalese capital in 1999.
- Maynard Smith is best known for using game theory to explain the jousting matches that one sees among the males of many species, from sticklebacks to sea lions, from stag beetles to stags.
- Now tell me about the stag beetle because that's quite a fascinating species in the north-east of Tasmania.
- An important wildlife habitat in Richmond Park, home to woodpeckers and stag beetles, was damaged by fire last Wednesday morning.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.