In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The biggest risk is that almost the entire population is the product of as few as three stallions from the founder group.
- They bought a lot of very high-priced stallions and brood mares and so on from all around the world.
- Maronic plans to breed their own mares to primarily New York stallions.
- Reproductive maturity is reached only at two to three years in mares and four to five years in stallions.
- Sadler's Wells, one of the most successful ever stallions, was bred at Sangster's Swettenham Stud.
- The horses can trace their ancestry back to the imported Arabian stallions of the 18th century and many of their riders wore period costumes.
- The current roster has more than 50 stallions breeding on five continents.
- Outside the breeding season the mares and stallions are kept separate otherwise the stallions fight to the death to win mating rights over the mares.
- From the start the bloodlines of Australian horses were strongly Arab with increasing influence from thoroughbred stallions.
- In the meantime, the Jockey Club has typed stallions and mares in order to build an initial database.
- Dell thought the stallion should be retired and his foals could take over where he left off.
- I was pleased to have several readers tell me they enjoyed reading my piece about the heavy horse stallions and the routes they followed in days gone by.
- Linear social hierarchies exist in herds with stallions being dominant.
- Nine of the 13 mares cataloged at Keeneland will be sold in foal to Shadwell-owned stallions.
- The main advantage is that the best stallion for your mare can be used irrespective of location.
- Any colt or filly who wins a Classic is likely to be much sought after as a stallion or brood mare.
- If the mares are not in foal to Kentucky stallions, it is difficult to get a really top price.
- Maria was 15 years old and bought Riley from a man in the city who bred and sold stallions and mares.
- Darley Stud has boosted the stud fees of three of its stallions for the 2004 breeding season.
- The mare must foal in British Columbia and be bred back to a stallion standing in the province.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.