In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Decades later, when Worley was in his late 40s, his young daughter took what proved to be a short-lived interest in stamp collecting.
- Today, however, stamp collecting is hardly considered cool and is more likely to be indulged in by the affluent serious collector than the average ten-year-old.
- His meticulous character suited his outside interests of coin and stamp collecting, chess, genealogy, and Scottish history.
- His leisure time pursuits included stamp collecting, operatic music, cycling, walking and athletics.
- When he had to be indoors, he pursued his other great hobby, stamp collecting.
- His hobbies include stamp collecting and growing his own herbs and vegetables.
- The event at Scarborough, however, is a reminder that in the 1930s cigarette card trading was second only to stamp collecting in the list of world hobbies.
- Younger people are into more outdoor activities and stamp collecting is seen as something slightly old-fashioned.
- He also seemed to give up his mathematical work at that time but he had other interests to occupy his time such as stamp collecting and music.
- Coins and Collectables owner and Bundaberg dealer John Felesina said stamp collecting and swapping was alive and well in the region.
- A counter was also set up so that interested children could buy new stamps and other philately material to begin their journey into stamp collecting.
- When he retired he pursued his favourite hobby of stamp collecting, but also enjoyed reading, model ship building, classical music, and foreign travel.
- This attention to detail and quality stood him in good stead both in regard to his engineering company and his stamp collecting.
- His enthusiasms were building model aeroplanes and stamp collecting, when he was not protecting his garden from wind, sea, and sheep.
- The scope of the philatelic world renders the boast that stamp collecting is ‘probably the most popular indoor hobby that exists’ entirely believable.
- When he is not at the keyboard, he is probably stamp collecting, vegetable gardening, or enjoying his grandchildren.
- Edna, 71, from South Croydon, has always been interested in stamp collecting and now spends at least five evenings week sorting them into categories and themes.
- He was a determined man, with a good sense of humour and in his spare time enjoyed woodwork and stamp collecting.
- Many themes are possible in stamp collecting, for example, insects, flowers, ships, persons, and events.
- For most young people stamp collecting was a low key affair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.