In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1femenino posiciónmasculino prestigiohis standing in the community — la posición que tiene / el lugar que ocupa en la comunidad
- a person of high/low social standing — una persona de posición social alta/baja
- an establishment of high standing — un establecimiento de gran categoría / de alto standing
- a magazine of some standing — una revista de cierto prestigio
- she's in very good standing with the party chiefs — los jefes del partido la tienen en gran estima
- Winning an Oscar, it is reasoned, should have a positive effect on feelings of perceived social standing.
- Her witnesses confirmed that she was a lady of good standing with an annual income of 300 marks and some claim to royal blood.
- You are the very first black woman to occupy a position of this standing.
- Much has been made recently in the Evening Advertiser and elsewhere of the low standing of Swindon's Social Services Department.
- In my view nothing does more to depress the reputation and standing of teachers than to witness the annual antics that go on there.
- If the customer is of good standing, then the bank will permit him to draw against uncleared proceeds within a given ceiling and usually without prior approval.
- Poverty often leads to conditions in which women's civil rights and social standing is far below that of men.
- In the 1850s and 1860s Gladstone emerged as a politician of clear national standing with a reputation for oratory.
- Only in Pakistani cricket could someone's reputation and standing undergo the sort of transformation that Waqar Younis has just enjoyed.
- In doing so, it was to take into account the applicant's character, reputation and financial standing.
- All serving officers of good standing were entitled to join the RUC, the fledgling Six Counties police force.
- It is crucially important to the city's reputation and standing nationally and internationally.
- People of lower social standing were respected as valued members of the community.
- The rank and social standing of the subjects of portraiture are also expressed by conventions, which shift with time.
- Paralysed by questions about the distribution of wealth, Labour stood by while the housing market drove divisions in wealth and social standing.
- All of these arguments for social equality rightly stress the importance of people's social status or public standing.
- University status will strengthen the institute's academic reputation and international standing.
- The person who defends them is a man of good standing, not dynamic but dependable.
- For centuries, spouse selection was subject to family status and social standing.
- Unfortunately, not all who are in leading positions or of high standing understand this, as was manifested by the talk show.
2(duration)an agreement of long standing — un acuerdo vigente desde hace tiempo
- friends of more than 20 years' standing — amigos desde hace más de 20 años
- a practice of many years' standing — una práctica muy antigua / que lleva establecida muchos años
1(permanent)permanentestanding charge — cuota abono femenino
- we have a standing invitation to stay with them — estamos invitados a ir a quedarnos en su casa cuando queramos
- it's a standing offer — la oferta está siempre en pie
- it's a standing joke that he never pays for a single drink — tiene fama de no invitar nunca a una copa
2(upright, not seated)(passenger) de pie(passenger) parado América Latinastanding room only! — ¡no quedan asientos!
- she got a standing ovation — se pusieron de pie para aplaudirla
- a standing jump — un salto sin carrera
- 60 mph from a standing start in five seconds — de 0 a 60 mph en cinco segundos
- from a standing start, she has achieved … — partiendo desde cero, ha logrado …
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.