1(fijamente) mirarit's rude to stare — es de mala educación quedarse mirando a la gente / clavarle los ojos a la gente
- to stare at sb/sth
- we stared at each other in surprise — nos quedamos mirando sorprendidos
- I'm not going to sit at home staring at the walls — no pienso quedarme en casa mirando las paredes
- what are you staring at? — ¿qué miras?
- he was staring at the portrait — tenía los ojos clavados en el retrato
- he stared at her — le clavó los ojos
- I stared back at her — le sostuve la mirada
- her pale face stared back at her from the mirror — el espejo le devolvió su rostro pálido
- she sat staring into space — estaba sentada mirando al vacío / con la mirada perdida
- he stared after her — la siguió con la mirada
- Lee stared at me vacantly like one of those boys in B and Q when you ask them where the matt emulsion is.
- William Golding once wrote that you know you're a writer when you sit and stare at a page until your forehead bleeds.
- After a few minutes, he went back and sat down but he was still staring out into space.
- My wife is sitting in the recliner staring intensely at the television.
- This morning I came in as early as I could to find Grace sitting at her desk staring at her blank screen.
- I used to sit and stare at the sky for hours just imagining what was out there.
- Adam rested his head on his hand and stared vacantly at the empty table across from them.
- He just sits there all day staring at the computer screen, even when nothing is happening.
- The rest of us sat staring into space, apparently waiting for an answer to arrive like a visitor from the spirit world.
- Pat stares fixedly at the fuzzy diagram on their worksheets.
- I had to sit down and stare at the beach towel display in the window of House of Fraser for ten minutes until my composure was restored.
- Writer's block just disappears because you never have to sit there staring at a blank page.
- She made no demands, but just sat staring at me every time I went into the kitchen.
- For the next two minutes he sat, staring at the clock and waiting to hear the door opening.
- I just couldn't muster the willpower to finish them off and was just sat staring into space.
- Daryl was also sitting at his desk staring at a drawing he had done of his little sister.
- Aiden stared at me vacantly for several seconds before realization dawned on him.
- I position his little baby rocker beside the window, and he'll sit and stare quietly at the trees and sky.
- We sat there staring out at the ocean in silence for a few moments and then Becky spoke.
- This meant that I had low energy and I tended to sit and stare into space.
1to stare sb into silence/submission — hacer callar/obedecer a algn con la mirada
1(fija) mirada femeninoa vacant stare — una mirada perdida / extraviada
- to give sb a long stare — quedarse mirando fijamente a algn
- the boy gave him a defiant stare — el chico lo miró desafiante / le lanzó una mirada desafiante
- Her eyes looked deep into mine with a cold stare before she continued to speak.
- You remember their cold stares with dark and glassy eyes.
- He had adopted a vacant stare and purposely looked straight ahead as the woman spoke.
- Jim returned an icy stare, then looked away, towards the judge who was just now coming in.
- With a slam of her hand on the desk, everyone glanced at her, their cold stares boring into her soul.
- Elizabeth shot him a cold stare and held it until he looked away in defeat.
- ‘At that time, we were a little despised by the local people, and felt they gave us cold stares,’ she said.
- Grace just returned his stare, and Roger put a hand to his forehead in frustration.
- She looked into his eyes and tried to meet his cold stare with one of her own.
- To most of my friends and family, the announcement was greeted by cold confused stares and some tears.
- He returned many of the cold stares with quick nods and smiles as he walked by, but few people acknowledged them.
- She gazed at him in wonder, and he returned her stare with a look of friendly curiosity.
- Jerry gave a cold stare to the examiner, one of the High Councilors of the Society.
- His eyes were closed but he could still feel their cold stares.
- He had a piercing gaze, a direct contrast to the cold stares of the technicians.
- We were met with cold stares from policemen and BSF officials who could be spotted everywhere.
- He raised his head slightly, and continued to return my stare.
- He returned his cold stare to the carefree couple below and fantasized about his victory.
- The boys greeted each other with cold stares, sizing each other up.
- He gave me a cold stare and returned his attention to his girlfriend.