In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ley femeninoby statute — por ley
- statute of limitations — ley de prescripción
- the university statutes — el estatuto / los estatutos de la universidad
- In reading the objectives, instructions and guidance the court is not construing a statute, or even subordinate legislation.
- That seemingly innocuous statute implicitly included rules for classification and censorship.
- We have precisely the same structure - a monopolistic, representation body endorsed by statute.
- In choosing between these submissions we must first remind ourselves of the relevant provisions of statute and subordinate legislation.
- The provision or the ability to suspend a sentence is provided by statute.
- Congress has passed statutes making a defendant pay the fee of a plaintiff's lawyer if the plaintiff prevails in the case.
- Rules are written to reflect the statutes passed in legislation.
- In my judgment, that argument does less than justice to the fact that the review procedure is provided for by statute.
- With this strong new federal interpretation of the act, states may now be able to add language to their own rules and statutes regarding state's control of exotic species.
- It is not suggested in the present case that there was any liability for failure to exercise this power, either under the statute or at common law.
- What I am saying is there may be a difference conceptually in placing a limitation on jurisdiction conferred by statute?
- It is not entirely clear from this paper, it may be clear from the original: is this form of lease prescribed by statute or regulation?
- But in all other contexts in ordinary criminal appellate statutes with which this country is familiar, what the jury did may not be ignored.
- However the issue is decided by construction of the section of the statute not the common law.
- Thus statutes were passed with the object of giving landlords a return sufficient to induce them to make accommodation available.
- You can have a common law in the statute, I suppose, in some loose sense.
- The jurisdiction to stay, although introduced by statute in the field of arbitration agreements, is in origin an equitable remedy.
- The principles relating to interpretation of statutes require that the words of a statute be given the meaning which they bore at the time the statute was passed.
- Parts 2 and 3 dealing with statutes and rules are already available in the market at lower prices.
- It is one thing to prosecute to conviction and to take positive steps authorised by statute to confiscate the proceeds of crime from the convicted defendant.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.