In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1corcel masculino literario
- Suddenly a king and his army galloped into town, mounted on powerful steeds.
- There, I was introduced to his fellow members of the hunt, resplendent in their finery on top of their steeds, and I got my first inkling of why hunting generates such hatred among its opponents.
- Three suitors had kissed it, mounted their red roan steeds and ridden away.
- The contest, as portrayed in the film, is a centuries-old annual event restricted to the best Bedouin horsemen and the finest Arabian steeds.
- Jockeys were usually wealthy men who at first owned their horses, and rode naked on bareback steeds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.