In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cocina(beef/lamb) estofado Britanico(beef/lamb) guisado Britanico(fruit) en compotastewed apple/pears — compota de manzana/peras femenino
- Hearty casseroles, chunky soups and old fashioned crumbles and puddings involving stewed pears and syrup become inexplicably appealing.
- Rabbit cooked in brown beer with stewed prunes is a regional specialty.
- Caroline often felt cold and I advised her to eat more warm, lightly cooked and stewed food which would be easier for the body to digest and to regularly drink tea made with freshly grated ginger.
- The third ingredient is stewed meat, and it is usually served with fried plantain and a salad.
- This is the variant I cooked yesterday… if I'd had them I would have added some sliced parsnip, and it never hurts to throw in a couple of big juicy sliced tomatoes with a stewed beef recipe.
- Side dishes range from boiled vegetables with a piece of dried fish to fried and stewed dishes including meat curries.
- Another house specialty is the sweet stewed apples that give every plate a homey feel.
- The girls had been up all night cooking macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes and stewed pork.
- This was served with a dish of stewed potatoes and turnips - a great complement to the flavorful meat, which was rosy and tender in places, wonderfully crispy and smoky in others.
- She preserved stewed fruit in jars with screw tops and rubber rings and clips to hold them tight.
- Firing the stove he placed a pot of water onto the flame and then went into the barrel of salted meat so that he may cook himself a hardy meal of stewed duck with wheat bread.
- It was served in a wine sauce, with a small mound of stewed vegetables and three herbed potato dumplings.
- For dessert, many dishes include fried or stewed bananas.
- Standard dishes such as stewed beef and home-style bean curd are frequently requested here.
- Around each of the larger dishes were collections of stewed vegetables.
- Flummeries are a traditional English pudding made from cereal grain and served with stewed fruit.
- Guests are often given a choice of curry goat and white rice, rice and peas or kidney beans with fried chicken, or stewed chicken or beef for the main course.
- A stomach-teasing aroma of stewed food was in the air, and the thrumming of African bass guitar wafted through the open window.
- Most of these are boiled, served with some kind of stewed fish or meat, and accompanied by a sauce.
- Try stewed or baked fruit served with low fat crème fraiche for desert.
2Britanicodemasiado cargado por haberlo dejado reposar demasiado tiempo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.