In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escalones que permiten pasar por encima de una cerca
- I climbed a stile, stepped onto uneven turf and followed what I thought must be the route of the footpath I identified.
- It is an offence for a landowner to obstruct a public right of way, and the placing of a new stile, gate or fence can amount to an obstruction, unless it is a replacement of what previously existed.
- Cross the stile and continue along the grassy track with the fence on the right until a wall step stile is reached.
- The survey, completed in April 2000, highlighted a number of blocked footpaths, inadequate stiles, gates and fences.
- Once, a cattle trough had been set up right next to the stile we had to climb to reach the only footbridge over a small river.
- However, every footpath near my home has fallen trees, drainage problems, walls down, broken fences, gates and stiles.
- As children, Nick and I would sneak out of the house at night and follow the pressure-treated cedar fences into the yards of our neighbors, climbing the stiles, careful not to wake the dogs.
- The poems have been carved into a series of stones by letter-cutter Pip Hall, each verse interpreted in such a way as to add to the impact of the words, and then incorporated into walls and stiles, or planted like milestones along the route.
- Its lack of steps and stiles makes it fully accessible to horse riders, mountain bikers and walkers.
- The fence includes stiles, a bridle gate and kissing gates which are fully accessible to push-chairs and wheelchair users.
- Head through the bridle-gate, then walk straight up the steep grassy bank on to reach a stile over a fence.
- Use gates and stiles to cross fences, hedges and walls.
- Keep to the right of a small brook and climb steps to reach a stile at the top end of the woodland.
- Swing right from the stile and climb the grass bank before bearing left and crossing further stiles to follow a path through woodland.
- Eventually, we reached a stile that allowed access over the wall to the fields of the Dyer farm.
- Carry on along a cut path through long grass and, just before Hole House, take a step stile over the wall, now on your left.
- But although they put up stiles across the new fence, walkers and residents feared it would mean access to the well used dam would be restricted.
- To always use gates and stiles and to avoid damage to walls and fences.
- Pine will be used for door frames in information centres, oak for boat repairs at Coniston Boating Centre, signboards, fences and stiles will also be made from the reclaimed timber.
- Climb a fence stile at the top of the ridge and the summit of Sour Howes lies ahead.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.