In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(traffic light)semáforo masculino
- The town has one stop light and a weekly newspaper called ‘The Lone Star Iconoclast.’
- Why is it when you're running late, every stop light en route to your destination turns red, and traffic is a nightmare?
- Indeed, there are times when the pedestrian traffic through the cemetery and around its perimeter is heavy enough to make one think about the need for a stop light inside.
- They decided to cross Oxford Street at roughly the same location rather than proceeding to a crosswalk or stop light.
- Only the honking of a car horn behind us, telling us that the stop light had turned green, sobered us up enough for Matt to start driving again, but he couldn't help grinning.
- Peering north, deeper into town, Brian could see one flickering stop light at a right-angle intersection.
- On Fifth and Sixth Avenues, cutting the length of Manhattan, are gauntlets of flag-sellers assailing vehicles at every stop light.
2(brake light)luz de freno femeninoluz de frenado femenino
- The dubious honour of being the last case ever heard in Settle fell to a Newsholme man who was fined £180 for failing to maintain stop lamps and direction indicators on a JCB in Langcliffe.
- The stacked taillamps are vertical in orientation; there is a clear acrylic and polycarbonate lens covering three individual lamps: the top is a clear backup light; the middle is an amber turn signal; the bottom is the red stop lamp.
- The bulb in the high-mounted stop light in the rear window of my five-year-old car has blown and I can't loosen the screws to change it.
- Other standard equipment includes multi-reflector halogen headlights, rear wiper/washer, high level stop lamp, velour upholstery, adjustable armrests, six spoke 16-inch alloy wheels and a stereo radio / CD system.
- A leather-cum-wood steering wheel, high-mounted LED stop lamp, restyled front and rear bumpers, multi-reflector fog lamps and elegant chrome-plated front grill are the added features.
- From a safety standpoint, a rear incandescent stop lamp takes 250 milliseconds to light up once the brake pedal is depressed.
- External styling tweaks include electrically-adjustable heated wing mirrors, colour-coded rear spoiler with high-mounted stop lamp, 16-inch, five-spoke, alloy wheels and integrated roof rail and front fog lights.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.