In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The chip, which is attached to the person's trainer, would scrap the need for stopwatches and ensure the 13-mile run goes smoothly.
- We called the first three breakdown services simultaneously, and with stopwatches running waited for the tow trucks to arrive.
- The teacher fished out a stopwatch from her shorts' pocket and gave the signal to go.
- His trainer, I presumed, since he was the only other person out here, was standing close by and held a stopwatch in his hand.
- Many years ago, a young parent picked up a stopwatch to time her child's race at a recreation league meet.
- There are stopwatches and timing systems everywhere.
- The physician uses a stopwatch or a wristwatch with a second hand to time this activity.
- Mack produced three of the working stopwatches from his pocket and held them out to Emma and Wyatt who took them in their hands carefully.
- They trained from scratch over the last six months and, according to their own stopwatches, finished in two hours and 31 minutes.
- But stopwatches have become so sophisticated that scouts can clock times to hundredths of a second.
- The timer eliminated the need for a stopwatch and enabled participants to start at their leisure.
- I had accidentally stopped my stopwatch so didn't know how much time I had taken, so I really wanted to push myself to get the best time possible.
- When Megan hears the sound to start the race, she starts the stopwatch she holds in her hand.
- A straightforward extension in the method of using stopwatches is the use of electronic timers, pneumatic tubes or other event recorders to automate the event-recording process.
- Pedometers, which look like stopwatches or pagers, have become popular tools for keeping track of steps and promoting moderate exercise.
- He runs two 40-yard dashes, and the scouts huddle to compare their stopwatches.
- Use either the manual selection on the cardio machine so you have a time clock or use a stopwatch of your own.
- If you train with a partner, have him time you with a stopwatch, help you count off reps at the right speed and keep you in your window.
- Someone has to start the stopwatch and someone has to stop it.
- They've got stopwatches to make sure we don't exceed time limits, and it's much more athletic than it was.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.