In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(band)femenino correamasculino suavizadorfemenino correafemenino correafemenino agarraderashoe strap — tira del zapato femenino
- Combined with a fetching ensemble of white leather belts and straps, the effect is arresting.
- Velcro closures keep the case securely closed, and there's a strap for belt carry.
- The painting shows the collectors transporting the trees in large clay pots carried on straps.
- They wore wine satin ballerina-length dresses with shoestring straps, and carried smaller versions of the bride's bouquet.
- A light rain falls on her shoulders as she pulls her purse up by its leather strap and sighs.
- All over her were cuts and her clothing was ripped by the impact of the whip's leather strap.
- You never had to think about ribbon belts or decorative bra straps.
- The canteen was a hard leather flask with straps to tie it to a belt.
- The leather strap of her shoulder holster had been oiled.
- It had school satchel style leather straps and buckles instead of Velcro or twist fasteners.
- Two clips sat on either side of the leather carry strap.
- Adrian also says the hawk is trailing leather straps which tied it to a perch.
- She took a leather strap and buckled it around my wrist, attaching the dagger to it, pulling the sleeve down to conceal the weapon.
- Slung across his shoulder on a leather strap was a wicker basket.
- He slipped it back into the scabbard and then picked up the streamlined sniper rifle, slinging it over his shoulder by its leather strap.
- I am quite sure however, that shampoo and leather straps would be involved at certain points in the process.
- But the leather straps are splattered with paint from foolishly decorating in them once, so they could really do with an entire replacement at some point.
- My mother swayed over to the door in her black leather shoes, straps strangling her white ankles and heels.
- Over his battle tunic went the clean white leather belts and honest straps.
- Carry handbags with short straps; those that sling a long way down are easy targets
2shoulder straptirante masculinobretel masculino Cono Sur
3Britanico(punishment)to give sb the strap — darle a algn con la correa
1(tie)atar con una correasujetar con una correaamarrar con una correa América Latina Río de la Platato strap oneself in — ponerse / abrocharse el cinturón de seguridad
- I strapped up my trunk — le puse la correa al baúl
2BritanicoMedicinavendarshe strapped my ankle — me vendó el tobillo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.