In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(severity)severidad femeninorigurosidad femeninothe strictness of her upbringing — lo estricto / riguroso de su educación
- Her high spirits and love of life were so different from Mimi's strictness and rigidity.
- The commander stands for the general's qualities of wisdom, sincerity, benevolence, courage, and strictness.
- To a lesser extent they blamed adverse family factors and the strictness of the school regime.
- Yet when no discrimination is in question she forgoes strictness, and gives both race and diversity constitutional stature.
- In strictness the answer on both points must be in the negative. The Constitution of the U. S. forbids everything like an establishment of a national religion.
2(rigorousness)lo estrictolo riguroso
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.