In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(employee on strike)huelguista femenino
- Under New Labour's legislation, employers can legally sack strikers after eight weeks.
- As the strike went on, a carnival atmosphere developed on the picket line, with strikers blowing French-style horns.
- They struck on Tuesday of last week, when many strikers joined the picket line, and were due out again this Thursday.
- Conversation halted on the picket line as the strikers waited to catch a glimpse of their temporary replacements.
- There are now only 100 strikers left on the picket line.
- A group of women on the picket line symbolised the strikers ' militant mood.
- The hunger strikers are demanding compensation and medical benefits for all the affected workers.
- While the strikers walk the picket lines, more than 20 employees have decided to continue working.
- The strikers demanded a reduction in working hours and improved benefits and working conditions.
- Eleven of the hunger strikers have already been admitted to the hospital.
- A boss has the right to sack strikers after eight weeks on strike.
- Despite rainy weather, strikers picketed the company's head office in central Colombo.
- The strikers say that employees of Harvard get more money.
- Instead of a picket line, the strikers will volunteer at nursing homes and community centers across the province.
- Norton and other strikers extended their picket lines to other areas of the state, where they say they've found a sympathetic public.
- Our strike is solid, with around two thirds of strikers attending picket lines.
- Two of the hunger strikers have already fallen ill and have had been hospitalised.
- The victory included the reinstatement of five sacked strikers and payment of full wages.
- The strikers picketed the post office and demanded improved security when carrying out deliveries.
- The strikers are employees of construction companies brought in to build a zinc refinery on the premises.
2(in soccer)delantero masculinodelantera femeninoartillero masculinoartillera femeninoariete femenino
- Why was Ferguson sitting in midfield instead of bombing forward to help the strikers?
- Manchester United are in better form and even without their star striker are scoring more goals than Arsenal.
- Fenn was again involved but the striker's shot hit the side-netting.
- Bellamy has been the best striker up front for Newcastle this season.
- In Raul they have the most exciting young striker in the world although defensively they are unconvincing.
- The team often has a five-man midfield and a lone striker.
- If you are a striker at any club, you must score goals.
- He also makes good runs forward to support the strikers.
- There is a chance the veteran striker may never play for Motherwell again.
- Niemi stood his ground and pushed the diminutive striker's shot beyond the far post.
- The lack of an experienced striker up front was also one of the reasons Bafana could not execute their chances.
- With Seaman beaten, the striker's header hit a post when he ought to have scored.
- Hughes would then have the spare cash to sign another striker as well.
- But the former Hibs striker admits to having doubts about going so far down the league ladder.
- For the last three months he has been the most in-form English striker in the Premiership.
- O'Connor is the type of guy who believes everything comes to strikers who score goals.
- The 26-year-old Celtic striker's long-term plans make sense in anyone's language.
- We salvaged a point when Josh Adams, our star striker scored a last-gasp equalizer to level the game.
- Burley confirmed that the former Germany international striker will be on trial in Edinburgh this week.
- The 28-year-old Dutch striker has been out of action for nearly three months because of an Achilles injury.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.