In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in pillow, mattress, toy)relleno masculino
- All the stuffed animals' stuffing was ripped from the stitches including their plastic black eyes.
- The yards are full of derelict cars, broken-down furniture, sofas with the stuffing bursting out.
- The stuffing beneath the worn velvet seat cover sighed to wafer thinness under her negligible weight.
- They're transfixed, except for one boy in the back row who's busy picking the stuffing out of his cushion.
- Dried moss was replaced by synthetic materials used in stuffing car seats and furniture.
- The curtains hung across the windows looked worn and on some of the chairs I could see the stuffing coming through the cushions.
- Used dryer sheets are perfect for this kind of stuffing or even tiny fabric scraps that are too small for other uses.
- The punching bag lay in a thousand blackened pieces on the floor, material and stuffing scattered everywhere.
- The stuffing of the tooled-leather cushion rustled as I settled into it.
- He had vehemently denied that syringes used in the hospital ended up in adjacent medical shops, and that bloodied cotton wads made good stuffing for mattresses.
- Fur and the stuffing of the cushion rustled as he sat and settled himself.
- Her hands had grasped the chair's cushion and ripped out part of the stuffing that was put inside.
- Flax mills were built on the north-west side of the Takaka Hill, producing fibre used for rope, sacks, upholstery stuffing and linen.
- The others huddle behind the furniture as blasts rip into the green leather, stuffing flying into the air.
- You need to cook the stuffing separately or it will absorb too much of the fat.
- Cut a pouch in the center of each pork chop and fill with the stuffing.
- Open the incision with your fingers and spoon the stuffing into the pocket.
- The stallholder is another multi-tasker, rolling the crêpes and their stuffing with one hand while using the other to coax new sheets of wet rice paper off a steamer with a long chopstick.
- Fill the mushrooms with the anchovy and olive stuffing and place them in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish.
- Make the stuffing by combining the garlic, parsley, coriander, lemon, capers, breadcrumbs and almonds.
- Don't try to put too much stuffing inside the rolls, it only makes them harder to roll and more prone to tearing.
- The minced stuffing is then wrapped with tofu skin before being deep fried in oil and topped with a few fresh cucumber slices as a finishing touch.
- Fill the hollows in the squash with the stuffing, cover with buttered foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Any remaining stuffing can be scattered over the fish.
- Season the stuffing with salt and black pepper, and pile the filling into the tomato halves.
- The poblano is the most popular pepper for both roasting and stuffing.
- In 17th and 18th-century English recipes, mixtures for stuffings and forcemeats of many types are recorded.
- The stuffing was seasoned with salt and the bird coated with flour and strips of fat bacon and then roasted in the black oven pot with coals on the lid to maintain an even temperature.
- Fill each pig leg with the stuffing, secure with butcher's twine, and set aside.
- To make the stuffing, whiz the bread in a food processor until it forms fine crumbs.
- On a hard roll, layer turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing with a little mayonnaise.
- They are filled to the brim with three stuffings: meat (pork and beef with onion, garlic); cheese and potato; sauerkraut and wild mushroom.
- Substitute any leftover bread from making stuffing for the baguette.
- Bring up the sides of the dough and pinch to enclose the stuffing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.