nombrePlural styli, Plural styluses
1(on record player)aguja femeninopúa femenino Río de la Plata
- I also still have every one of the 14 diamond styli that it ever used.
2(for writing)estilo masculino
- A metal stylus was used for scratching characters onto a wax tablet.
- Using a reed stylus, they made wedge-shaped impressions on wet clay tablets which were then baked in the sun.
- Writing first on heavy clay with fragile reed styluses led the Sumerians to simplify their drawings.
- It is said to have developed originally as a means of writing with a stylus on palm leaves, which would split if incised with a straight line.
- He seized his stylus and scratched twenty coppers from the total on his tablet.
- In the thirteenth-century Roman de la Rose, for example, Genius encourages men to propagate the species by using their styluses to write on the tablets that Nature has prepared for them.
- The next significant development began around 3,100 B.C. when a pointed stylus was used to incise pictures of tokens in clay tablets instead of impressing the tokens themselves.
- The symbols were pressed into soft clay tablets with the slanted edge of a stylus and so had a wedge-shaped appearance (and hence the name cuneiform).
- For writing, they used a stylus and a wax tablet.
- The small number of numerical symbols was, to a large extent, controlled by the method of writing numbers using a blunt stylus with a circular section to impress marks on wet clay.