In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That is the case with regard to many states in the Third World, especially sub-Saharan Africa.
- Why didn't sub-Saharan Africans go out and domesticate zebras and rhinoceroses.
- Built out of coral, the winding streets and courtyarded houses feel more North African than sub-Saharan.
- Three out of four people who die with the disease live in sub-Saharan South Africa.
- This region lies in the heart of sub-Saharan Africa and is ranked by the UN as the third poorest country in the world.
- In South Africa, and much of sub-Saharan Africa, mortality is currently spiralling upwards.
- Whatever the exact numbers, this was a degree of land alienation unrivalled in any sub-Saharan African context.
- I mean, how bad is it compared with other regions in sub-Saharan Africa that are also in need?
- The Caribbean is the second-most affected region after sub-Saharan Africa in the world.
- No region on the face of earth is more affected by the unfair competition in world cotton markets than sub-Saharan Africa.
- Much of this aid goes to sub-Saharan Africa, South America, and Southern Asia.
- Only a handful of sub-Saharan African nations suffer more wretched conditions.
- Women are the primary caregivers in most sub-Saharan African households and Wereilu is no exception.
- It's the introduction of an electronic medical record in one of the poorest regions of sub-Saharan Africa.
- In that time around 12 million sub-Saharan Africans have succumbed to the disease.
- Blackcaps spending the summer in northern and eastern Europe are wholly migratory and winter south to sub-Saharan Africa.
- The idea that sub-Saharan Africa is an amorphous whole - one huge basket case - is a damaging misconception.
- Entrants should have been born in a sub-Saharan African country and must currently be resident in that country.
- An appropriately developed score might be useful in audit, research, and clinical practice in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The lowest levels of economic growth were in sub-Saharan African countries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.