In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Developments in sub-machine guns since 1945 have concentrated on bringing them closer to assault rifles and shrinking them in size.
- As Mr Williams was helping an elderly woman off the train, another 10 to 15 police officers with pistols and sub-machine guns ran up.
- Hayes said that during the undercover Operation Stormer, conducted in May, 48 firearms consisting of assault rifles and Uzi sub-machine guns as well as 9mm pistols were recovered in Grahamstown.
- There are varieties of pistols, rifles, sub-machine guns and other firearms available, as well as an assortment of rocket launchers and cannons.
- You can use just about any weapon, even sub-machine guns, as sniper rifles.
- They detained five suspects in possession of four pistols, an AK - 47 assault rifle and a sub-machine gun outfitted with a silencer.
- A machine gun, a sub-machine gun and two double-barrelled sawn-off shotguns were found along with a quantity of cocaine following a police raid on a house in Roundhay Avenue.
- Police in North Belfast yesterday displayed the weapons, which included home-made sub-machine guns, a shotgun, and pipe bombs.
- The weapons - a Sten sub-machine gun and two handguns along with a silencer - were taken by trailer to Wilson's premises, said the prosecution.
- They also accumulated home-made detonators, rifles with long-distance sights, a hand grenade, revolvers fitted with silencers, sub-machine guns and ammunition.
- An inventory of pistols, handguns, rifles, shotguns and sub-machine guns found 184 had been stolen and 265 lost.
- These included self-loading pistols and sub-machine guns, which had the potential to be lethal weapons.
- The different types of weapons will be handguns, rifles, shotguns and sub-machine guns.
- Each patrol was equipped with ten Lewis machine guns, four Boyes anti-tank rifles, anti-aircraft guns, Bren guns and Thompson sub-machine guns.
- It is understood the Tactical Aid Group which carried out the initial raid were wearing body armour which can provide protection from knives, handguns, or even sub-machine guns.
- Three or four officers came in first, followed by about half a dozen hefty soldiers carrying rifles and sub-machine guns.
- The firearms range from handguns to sub-machine guns, shotguns, assault rifles, grenade launchers, up to machine guns and sniper rifles.
- Today's crime fighters are equipped with the best rifles and sub-machine guns available, with Kevlar vests, and they are very mobile.
- There were nine prisons officials, armed with 9mm pistols, sub-machine guns and pump action rifles.
- The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.