In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1barrio residencial de las afueras masculinocolonia femenino Méxicothe suburbs — los barrios periféricos / de las afueras (de la ciudad)
- The shock of what had happened on a quiet residential street in a suburb of Leeds on Boxing Day hung in the air yesterday.
- So the only places I've really been to in Sydney are the city and the suburb I live in.
- Outside her circle she was unknown, living on an estate in the suburbs of an unloved city.
- This works well, and does a fine job of connecting the downstream suburbs to the city upstream.
- Wine bars have sprung up all over the cities and the suburbs, many with cafe dining.
- That city's estates and suburbs have provided the locations and settings for all his work to date.
- In the past few years it has opened a string of retail shops across Dublin city and suburbs.
- The pain has been borne by people in regional Australia and the outer suburbs of the cities.
- Then she moved to the suburbs and finally the city, where there was a career and a kid and the usual balancing act.
- These outlets have sprung up at virtually every vantage point in the city and suburbs.
- We did much better in the inner city than in the suburbs and the countryside.
- The suburbs of the cities have proved to be a difficulty when assessing their political allegiance.
- If she had moved to a country town instead of a city suburb where she felt left out, alone and ignored.
- Several other villages and suburbs around the district will lose their roadside urinals.
- A good place to start is in San Angel, one of the city's most charming suburbs.
- The victim lives in a quiet suburb of a city which enjoys one of the highest qualities of life in Britain.
- The subjects come from a variety of backgrounds, from inner city ghettoes to upmarket suburbs.
- It raises the aspirations of its pupils, both in the leafy suburbs and the inner city.
- Older people with greater income and more assets tend to move out of the city and into suburbs.
- The Glasgow market is seeing a high level of demand throughout the city and its suburbs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.