In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He carefully stepped around the various succubi, incubi and lesser lust demons littering the room, finally stopping in front of the throne.
- People dressed up as something else - but that something else often meant vampires, devils, and succubi.
- It wasn't a possessive spirit who just couldn't let it's house go, and it wasn't a spectral incubi and succubi who would attack you at night and give you a whole new take on the phrase ‘bed bugs’.
- Grim skulls taunt Mother Superior's mind, while a severely cowled Mary Magdalene in green eye shadow and come-hither lipstick holds court over a writhing succubus.
- Harrison says ‘If your uncle was right about a succubus being among us, it may be that the demon is clever enough to cover her tracks.’
- In this, the nightmare equals the incubi and succubi, a personification of erotic dream figures.
- You really expect me to believe an angel is going to hang out with a succubus?
- I thought I was being attacked by a succubus again.
- A succubus is not just a fantastic, furry creature: it is a female demon fabled to have sexual intercourse with sleeping men.
- It was a union that was blessed by Jesus in the sacred ceremony of marriage, only to be destroyed by a succubus of Satan.
- Has anyone had any experiences with what might be considered a succubus or incubus?
- Certainly the phenomenon experienced by our subjects is very similar to that, as I mentioned, with people who have encountered ghosts and incubi and succubi and witches and things of that sort that visit them at night.
- I see the notorious Sheila Face, certainly named by some carnal-dreaming mountaineer, looming like a succubus above the hut.
- For most of the history of Christianity there are reports of Satan having sex with humans, either as an incubus (male devil) or succubus (female devil).
- The darkness is seductive; and the black ocean straddles me as a dark succubus.
- She was a Valkryie, a succubus - a dark-eyed angel roaring through the sky in the path of vengeance unknowable.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.