In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(emphasizing degree, extent)taltanI woke up with such a headache — me levanté con tal dolor de cabeza …
- it's such a bore! — ¡es tan aburrido!
- such a charming girl! — ¡qué chica más / tan encantadora!
- she gave me such a look! — ¡me miró de una manera … !
- I've got such a lot of work to do — tengo tanto (trabajo) que hacer
- I've never heard such nonsense — nunca he oído semejante / tamaña estupidez
- such impertinence! — ¡qué impertinencia!
1.2such … (that) — tal/tan … que
- it was done in such a way that nobody noticed — se hizo de tal manera que nadie lo notó
- do it in such a way that nobody notices — hazlo de (tal) manera que nadie lo note
- I was in such pain (that) I couldn't sleep — tenía tanto / tal dolor que no pude dormir
1.3such … as — tan … como
- such a patient teacher as you — un maestro tan paciente como tú
- he had never experienced such pain as he was feeling — nunca había sentido un dolor tan fuerte como el que sentía
2.1(of this, that kind)talsuch children are known as … — a dichos / a tales niños se los conoce como …
- such a journey would take weeks — un viaje así / como ese llevaría semanas
- no doubt some such solution will be found — sin duda se encontrará una solución semejante / de ese tipo
- there's no such person here — no hay nadie con ese nombre aquí
- there's no such thing as the perfect crime — el crimen perfecto no existe
- I said no such thing! — ¡yo no dije tal cosa!
- you'll do no such thing! — ¡de ninguna manera!
- would you have such a thing as a calculator on you? — ¿no tendrías por casualidad una calculadora?
- there's such a thing as a comb, you know — ¿sabes que existe una cosa que se llama peine?
- such jobs as mine — trabajos como el mío
2.2(unspecified)talthe letter tells you to go to such a house on such a date — la carta te dice que vayas a tal casa a tal hora
- until such time as we are notified — hasta (el momento en) que se nos notifique
3formal(the few, the little)such … as
- such women as he knew were all older — las pocas mujeres que conocía eran todas mayores
- such money as I earn I give to my parents — el poco dinero que gano se lo doy a mis padres
1.1(of the indicated kind)talsuch were her last words — tales fueron sus últimas palabras
- snakes, lizards and such — serpientes, lagartijas y cosas por el estilo
- such is life — así es la vida
- In fact she was only the fourth woman to receive such a degree in the whole of North America.
- My home is beautiful and I have lovely children who have been spared such suffering.
- They light up the night sky like a beautiful but harmless fire, if such a thing existed.
- As is often the case in such volumes, the quality of the articles is a bit uneven.
- The authors attempt to justify the diagnosis of allodynia in just such a patient.
- It was the absolute very least I could do to throw him a party on such an occasion.
- Any such cost will of course have to be met by the people and friends of All Saints!
- There are few executives with a wit or the patience to withstand such a showing.
- Why would such a patent democrat and friend of freedom engage such a course of action?
- It is the first time that an English cathedral has sent any of its personnel on such a course.
- As such, fans of such music will probably quickly fall in love with her crisp style.
- Another such occasion was when a woman with three dogs, decided to let one of them off the lead.
- On one such occasion he actually sat in the newsroom and typed out his stuff there and then.
- They could never progress to plane solutions since we know that such are impossible.
- Ann is not often completely disappointed in our ventures but this was one such occasion.
- At no previous stage this season have Celtic had such a lead in the championship race.
- It points out how the whole care team can help with such patients' medical and social needs.
- It did not feel right that such patients should actually be in with very elderly patients.
- Literary agents are queuing up to sign on young writers from such courses, she says.
- The guidelines say that such patients are at high risk of a full stroke within a month.
1.2such as — como
- incidents such as these — incidentes como estos
- many modern inventions, such as radar … — muchos inventos modernos, (tales) como el radar …
- I've read many of his books — such as? — he leído muchos de sus libros — ¿(como) por ejemplo?
- such … as
- such (people) as were dissatisfied — quienes estaban descontentos
3(of such a kind, extent, degree)such that — tal … que
- the pain was such that I screamed — fue tal el dolor / fue tan grande el dolor, que grité
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.