In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1suficientebastantetwo are sufficient for my purposes — con dos me basta
- the evidence is not sufficient to convict her — las pruebas no son suficientes / no hay suficientes pruebas para condenarla
- my income is hardly sufficient to live on — mis ingresos apenas (si) me alcanzan para vivir
- That experience was sufficient to prove to me that handling these big schemes is no easy matter.
- For Susan a single treatment was sufficient for a breakthrough in her health due to her youth.
- This would not happen if we had sufficient staff and resources to do our job properly.
- I could see that at this rate the five we'd brought were not going to be sufficient.
- Check with your plumber that the style you like gives sufficient output to heat the room.
- If it can do all that in sufficient numbers, it might be enough to start spooking its rivals.
- The traders must be making a sufficient income because they come back again to sell.
- If I had not had sufficient cash on me I would have had to find my own way to the nearest cash machine.
- It can be seen by the public and that is sufficient for its owner to escape tax.
- Falkirk were again pinned down but seemed to have sufficient bodies back behind the ball.
- If there had been no book then the movie would not have been sufficient to carry the story into legend.
- This does not seem to be sufficient to warrant a conclusion that one is more readable than the other.
- Even my basic Spanish was sufficient to understand that this was a flamenco school.
- He took what action he could to avoid the car but it wasn't sufficient to stop the accident.
- The case was adjourned because the court did not have sufficient powers to deal with him.
- The institute confirmed that the sums given for house and contents were sufficient.
- These were necessary but not sufficient conditions for the end of the old regime.
- Although he did not name her, there was sufficient detail for her to be traced by the media.
- Jam and fudge will be available during the interval and a quiz will be held if there is sufficient time.
- I find that two minutes on a high setting is sufficient to provide comforting warmth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.