In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The fact that it was so quickly and summarily rejected by the Court of Appeal would indicate that that was not the case.
- The four rogue traders have been summarily dismissed, as has their immediate supervisor.
- Little Jack is kidnapped in bizarre circumstances and summarily returned with the ransom money untouched.
- The outcome is a slap in the face for thousands of people who took part in a household survey asking for their views only to find them summarily disregarded.
- By all accounts, the court had a hard time quelling the resulting laughter and the judge summarily dismissed the case.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.