In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘The one pulling up my summer squash is Maggie Dowen,’ continued Adam, sighing in dismay at the destruction of yet another of his plants.
- Plant lettuce, carrots, beets, radishes, kale, kohlrabi, turnips, spinach, beans, summer squash and Chinese greens through August.
- Zucchini and summer squash should be picked when they are 6-to - 8 inches long.
- Along these lines, Andress also recommends refrigerating summer squash, cucumbers, eggplant, okra and zucchini and protecting these vegetables from freezing, in the same manner as leafy vegetables.
- Carrots, lettuce, summer squash such as zucchini, celery, asparagus and leafy greens are good vegetable choices.
- If seeds begin to mature inside beans, peas, cucumbers, and summer squash, the plants will stop making new fruits.
- A borer-resistant summer squash is still some years away, however.
- The dividing line between summer squash and winter squash thus corresponds to differences in use.
- For an early spring harvest plant peas, spinach and radishes; for summer plant tomatoes, peppers and summer squash.
- There will be a round of grilled onions with soured cream, summer squash with garlic butter, mushrooms with a thyme and balsamic vinegar dressing, and as many zucchini as my plants can send me.
- ‘I love the variety of vegetables,’ says Smith, ‘and I try to eat the dark leafy ones five times a week, but I also like summer squash, beets and green beans.’
- The reward: tomatoes by July and every-other-day harvests of beans, peas, brassica, cucumbers and summer squash.
- Unlike summer squash, butternut squash has a hard, inedible skin that is easily removed with a vegetable peeler.
- One is zucchini, a summer squash that produces so prolifically that in the end we can hardly give it away.
- The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.
- Peas, brassicas, cucumbers and summer squash should be harvested every other day, not every third.
- Finish seeding bush snap beans, lima beans, sweet corn, winter and summer squash by early May to avoid heat damage.
- The crooked neck summer squash, scorned by many, is delicious if properly prepared.
- But the best picks - especially for cucumbers and summer squash - are the smallest vegetables on the vine.
- Try the Portobello Napoleon - layers of mushroom, sautéed summer squash, spinach and goat cheese marinated in balsamic vinegar and topped with a roasted garlic tomato.
tipo de calabaza
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.