In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(instruments/treatment) quirúrgicosurgical dressing — vendaje quirúrgico
- surgical gauze — gasa esterilizada
- surgical knife — bisturí
- Operations are sometimes referred to as surgery, or surgical procedures.
- He travelled to another country, where a second surgical resection of his liver metastasis was successful.
- We performed every kind of surgery in the surgical unit, including cesarean sections.
- Early surgical excision is the treatment of choice.
- To minimize the surgeons' potential effect on functional outcomes, they all agreed to use the same surgical technique.
- A doctor could determine tumor type, provide an immediate diagnosis and administer treatment such as surgical resection or irradiation.
- These include cuts in waiting times for cataract operations, an improved critical care unit, better surgical wards and improvements to the day surgery and treatment unit.
- A new surgical procedure involving electrical stimulation may help restore the use of hands and arms to some stroke victims.
- The work group consisted of one RN and one surgical technologist from each specialty area.
- The mass was large enough to cause a second obstruction at the same site and necessitated a second surgical operation.
- Still, new surgical techniques and better drugs to prevent islet cell rejection are showing promise.
- The title of the appointment was rather meaningless as he soon had his own surgical wards, where his skills in intestinal surgery and liver resection were legendary.
- In 1999, our staff of volunteers included five RNs, one surgical technologist, and one sales representative.
- There are no randomized prospective studies available comparing expectant management to early surgical intervention.
- Early consultation is essential, and prompt surgical intervention may be required.
- This is the most common method and does not involve a surgical operation.
- The operation is a surgical procedure performed using general anaesthetic and, like all surgery, carries a degree of risk.
- Patients should be cautioned that surgical treatment may not resolve pain.
- The bill does not require the outcomes of the operations of approved surgical facilities to be reported.
- By the age of six months, the cartilage is too hard to be remoulded and a surgical operation is required.
- In the UK, an appliance means a surgical garment allowing hernia sufferers to walk about unaided.
- A surgical bra must be worn post-op for two weeks or more, though you can usually return to work in seven to 14 days.
2(boot/stocking) ortopédicosurgical appliance — aparato ortopédico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.