- At a certain point it is confronted with the fact that it is a claim on surplus value and this surplus value has to be actually extracted from the working class.
- Out of the growing mass of surplus value, capitalist governments were able to finance social welfare spending and other concessions to the working class.
- Capitalism works through wages and surplus value.
- Surplus labour creates surplus value, and on Marx's analysis, surplus value is the source of all profit.
- Typically they argued that capitalists obtain surplus value by purchasing labour for less than the value of its products.