In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An aneurysm is an abnormal swelling or bulge in the wall of a blood vessel such as an artery.
- Previously, he had been told the swelling was caused by enlargement of the parotids.
- This deficiency interferes with the normal working of the body's immune system and affects the blood vessels in various parts of the body (where the swellings occur).
- An aneurysm is a swelling in part of an artery caused by damage to, or weakness of, a blood vessel wall.
- Pregnancy may cause a localised swelling of the gingival papillae, which may bleed or ulcerate.
- The latter form is usually seen in the lateral meniscus due to loose capsular attachment, and appears as a swelling on the lateral joint line.
- Small berry swellings on the arteries below the brain are a common cause of strokes in younger people.
- Fungal infections of the scalp can cause kerions pus filled inflammatory swellings that may look like bacterial abscesses.
- A bunion is a bony swelling on the side of the big toe.
- It appears as a soft swelling in the area of the navel (umbilicus).
- You may have vertigo because of swelling or fluid in your inner ear.
- An epididymal cyst is a fluid filled swelling of the epididymis.
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy displayed Candida esophagitis and a localized swelling of the fundic mucosa.
- A 58 year old man was referred to the surgical clinic with a swelling in the natal cleft thought to be a pilonidal mass or abscess.
- Often, there is a firm swelling or lump in the area of the tumor.
- These articles encompassed a broad range of conditions, including ovarian tumors, hydatid cysts, and other abdominal swellings.
- The palpable swelling at the site of injection is measured and reported as mm of induration.
- Three months after the injury the boy presented with a hard painless swelling across the front of the hip which restricted flexion.
- The differential diagnoses of the swelling, as visualized on MRI scan, were either a post-traumatic seroma or some form of fat necrosis.
- A small amount of cloudy fluid was expressed through a central punctum within the swelling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.